This file part of www.dodgejeffgen.com website
GERAH MORAVIAN CHURCH HISTORY
The Gerah congregation was organized with 52 souls on Rogate Sunday in July, 1873. On record, the first sermon was presented in October, 1872. The church was located on Highway BB north of Highway 19 in Dodge County.
It is not known where the name Gerah (Gera) originated, but two such possibilities are:
Genesis 46:21 – Benjamin’s sons were Bela, Becher, Ashbet, GERA, Naarnan, Ehi, Rosh, Muppim, Huppim, and Ard. Also, GERA was a small German kingdom located in what was southern Prussia and just north of Bohemia before the World Wars. Today, the City of Gera is located in the south-central German Democratic Republic (East Germany).
In a letter written by the president of the church, no date available, it is written ------
"Built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets of which Christ Jesus is the chief comer stone. It will be served as a filial of Mamre, Jesus, let her here on earth, become heavenly. Amen."
The Moravian Church stood on the August Krueger Sr. and August Krueger Jr. farm. The August Krueger Sr. family became a member of that church in 1881.
The property was conveyed by Henry Wenke and wife to the Board of Elders of the North Division of the Church of the United Brethren, by deed dated February 12, 1874 and recorded March 12, 1874 in the Dodge County Registry in Vol. 62 on Page 369. That said property was given for construction of a church which was subsequently built, and later tom down and abandoned in 1929.
The last sermon was preached on November 25, 1922. Some of the members then joined the Mamre Church. The pastor at the time was O. E. Reidenbach.
The church was sold and removed. The cemetery is still maintained.