This file part of www.dodgejeffgen.com website

 

Now Available:

 

Oak Hill Cemetery CDrom

 

Oak Hill Cemetery Association

Watertown, Wisconsin

Interment Ledgers

 

This cdrom consists of the full content of the two existing Oak Hill Cemetery Association Interment Ledgers. These two ledgers were scanned and the optimized images imported into two Adobe Acrobat pdf files.

 

Interment Ledger Number One: 1881 - 1959

 

Interment Ledger Number Two: 1959 - 2003

 

A fire at a house in which the pre-1881 records of interment were stored destroyed this early set of interment records covering the first 30 years of record keeping.

 

Cdrom compiled and edited by Kenneth M. Riedl

with approval received from the

Oak Hill Cemetery Association Board, 09 03 2003

 

$30 +$2 shipping/handling  = $32 tot

 

Files are of the PDF format

CDrom is compatible only with pcs

 

CDrom distributed by and available through the

Dodge/Jefferson Counties Genealogical Society

P O. Box 91

Watertown, WI  53098-1911

 

The Oak Hill Cemetery Association was organized in 1850. The original cemetery was located on West Street, today the site of the Jehovah’s Witness Kingdom Hall. This cemetery was the second in Watertown. By the 1860s this cemetery was found to be too small and so a new site was chosen. In 1865 13-1/2 acres were purchased from Christian Schroeder and the present Oak Hill Cemetery was begun.

 

The original Oak Hill Cemetery on West Street was condemned in 1975 and the bodies still buried there, some going back to 1850, were transferred to a mass grave at the present cemetery.

 

Watertown’s first cemetery was begun in the mid 1840s and was located near Luther Preparatory School (formerly Northwestern College) on Western Avenue. This early cemetery was condemned in 1947 and the remains of those buried there were interred in a mass grave at Oak Hill.

 

In the 1880s an observatory tower was built in the center of the cemetery to allow visitors the opportunity to look over the whole cemetery, as well as taking in the view one still gets from the brow of the hill looking to the west - a panorama of Watertown. The tower was removed in 1917 and the present cemetery office was built on its site.